Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

selfies

I don't take selfies.  I don't own a cell phone, so don't have one of those small gadgets to hold in front of my face to snap away. Not sure I would even do that if I had one!  I shoot with one of the heavier dslr's, the Nikon D800.  Pretty impossible to hold that with outstretched arm to capture selfies.  Once in a while, when I'm with Melissa, I will hand her the camera and ask her to take a picture of me with Logan or some such, just so I can have a remembrance of the day/event, etc.  I believe a photographers place is behind the camera, not in front of it.
People seem to be a little obsessed with taking pictures of themselves.  I see now that they even sell these sticks to place your cell phone camera on, to get a wider view.  I can understand maybe taking a pic of yourself with a friend or child..... at least someone else, but what's with all these self absorbed people shooting themselves?  Are you really that interesting?
I've seen pictures of people shooting smiling selfies when visiting the memorial space at ground zero of the WTC.  What the hell, people?  Have you no common decency for sacred ground?  What are you smiling about?  I can understand taking a photo of the place itself, as a remembrance, to show you've been there.  But get out of the picture!  Use some common sense.  Do people take smiling selfies while standing next to gas chambers at Auschwitz? I'm afraid they probably do.
I'm glad I'm not part of the madness.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard other people share the same sentiments about people taking selfies at ground zero. I was just there this weekend and fortunately found people to be somber and respectful. Still I watch adults taking selfie after selfie, often oblivious to anyone or anything around them, and I do wonder what they are doing with all these pictures of themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog, and spending some time with me... I am truly honored.